Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Looks Better On TV

I just saw another pointless japenese car commercial. This time it was not from Hyundai or Kia but Nissan. This comes as a surprise to me since on television it seems to be the only one that has good ads. Whether its the Leaf ads or another car I am usually impressed with their commercials.

But while on msn.com today I saw a rather disappointing ad. It was a standard big box ad in which it showed the Nissan name then cut to text saying "The most----- per dollar of any car in America.", within the blank the text changes between "Technological, leg room, head room", then it changes to a picture of a bunch of peoples heads wearing very odd hats. They then say that this car is innovative give off the idea that the car is for innovators.

I see this ad as trying to sound American and doing a bad job doing so. Instead of trying to change the perception of consumers they should explain why it's better for them.

A car is an important purchase, innovation differientiates a brand. Headroom doesn't seem vital to either of them.

So people obviously know that Nissan is imported and they aren't helping their country out by buying them, but Nissan fails to explain the value of buying their brand by going this route. And more head room and fancy hats isn't that.

No comments:

Post a Comment